Thursday, November 27, 2008

What Makes New York City Amazing! The Macy's Day Thanksgiving Parade!




So a few days ago I decided I wanted to go see the Macy's Day Parade for the first time. Living in New York City I called the parade hotline wanting to know the logistics of what time the parade started, finished and most importantly what time do people start lining up to see it. The gentlemen said that people start lining up around 5am for a 9am start and about an 11am finish. I didn't know how I was going to convince my girlfriend to wake up that early to see that parade. Luckily we live in the Upper West Side about two blocks from Central Park West, where the parade begins, and it wouldn't be much more than a five minute walk over to the parade route.


So starting yesterday afternoon the floats and balloons start to get blown up and organized outside of the Museum of Natural History. We walked up there around 5pm and it was already a mad-house. The streets were crowded; the police were already directing traffic, people lining up to see the balloons inflated. At that point I knew we would have to get to the parade route early to get a good spot.


So we arrived around 6:15am and already people had staked out most of the spots right next to the police barricades on the street. We found a great spot right at the corner of 68th and Central Park West, a prime spot as far as I was concerned. By 7am there was at least two rows of people lined up and by 8am it was officially packed. The stragglers start showing up and try to squirm their way in front of you, one of my pet peeves. Luckily the weather was great, a clear sunny morning, cold probably in the low 40s.
The parade started at 9am and the floats and balloons started coming down. The marching bands were terrific, saw a few celebrities, and watching the balloons navigate the streets was entertaining. I was entertained the whole way; it was worth waking up so early, and putting up with the cold and huge crowds. Definitely a lot more fun in person than on TV. Can't wait to see it again next year!
I hope you enjoy some of the pictures, Let me know which ones are your favorite!
The Macy's Day Thanksgiving Parade definitely makes New York City an amazing city to live in!










No comments: